The New Lakota Dictionary (NLD) is the largest, most comprehensive, and most reliable dictionary of the Lakota Language currently available. Also very user-friendly – it is designed specifically with the learner in mind; providing numerous innovative features that help learners find words and use them correctly. Features Include:
- Over 41,000 entries (21,000 more than the first edition).
- More than 50,000 example sentences, references, usage notes and collections.
- 25,000 entries that have not been previously documented in any other Lakota dictionary.
- A consistent orthography that reliably reflects pronunciation.
- Descriptions of word-stems with stem nests.
- 5,000 entries with new or enhanced content.
- Upgraded system of abbreviations for verb categories, valency numbers and their derivational features.
- Example sentences now include a refined use of commas, hyphens, and ages to reflect compounding, subordination and intonation.
- A new grammar section that covers new discovers in Lakota morphology and syntax.
- Over 400 native speakers involved in its development and review
- Fun to use and explore
- An excellent self-study investment
“The New Lakota Dictionary is a great, great improvement over all the other dictionaries. It has words that are in common usage today and it lays out all the different ways a word can be used. I write Lakota the way it is written in the Dictionary, and find that it’s very easy to read”
– Ben Black Bear, Jr., Leading Lakota language scholar from the Sičháŋǧu Oyáŋke (Rosebud Nation)